There was an error in this gadget

Followers

Powered by Blogger.
Sunday, September 19, 2010

How Smart Are Angelfish?

Angelfish are intelligent fish. But just how smart are they?



In raising angelfish for over 7 years now, I have learned to love and appreciate my angelfish. When I first started taking care of angelfish I didn't know just how smart they actually were.





In my 55-gallon fish tank that I have currently up and running, I have 6 beautiful and smart angelfish. My fish have learned to eat from my hand.

Angelfish eggs in a leaf.
They are always excited to greet me as I enter the room.

I'm always testing my fish just to see how smart they are. The first test that I started my fish off with was shaking their food can in front of the tank right before I fed them (yes, I'm a psychology major that did classical conditioning on fish rather than a dog for all you Pavlovian fans :D ).
Of course, the smart little guys learned that when I shook the food can, they were going to get fed. Now when I feed them, I try to change the location of where I put the food in the water to see how they react. As I suspected, they can always predict where the food will go when I lift the lid on the tank.
Although I have not been able to find much information on the age range of the intelligence of angelfish I have guesstimated they are somewhere on the same intelligence level as a dog (3 year-old human).


While perusing the web, I came across a forum that talked about angelfish and the intelligence. It was a pretty interesting forum and I thought you might also like it.

Here is the link: http://www.angelfishkisses.com/forum/archive/index.php?t-59.html


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have two angel fish in the office and they are just like dogs! Smarter & quicker than all the other fish combined in the tank. Never had angel fish before, but I certainly will after this experience!