There was an error in this gadget

Followers

Powered by Blogger.
Sunday, September 19, 2010

The Do's and Don'ts of Maintaining an Aquarium




Now that the hard part is over of starting up a fish tank, we should discuss the do's and don'ts of maintaining the fish tank:





Don't:


     - Clean your fish tank with anything other than aquarium salt; I made the mistake a while back cleaning the fish tank with dish soap. Needless to say, they all died.

     - Constantly clean your fish tank; Clean the fish tank about once every two weeks.

     - Over feed your fish; this leads to swim bladder which is sudden death for fish.


Do:

- Clean the rocks and plants thoroughly when cleaning the tank. Change the filter cartridge when needed.  

- Make sure to have a digital thermometer to monitor the temperature of the fish tank. In winter it can get too cold for the fish and it summer it can over heat. I use a digital thermometer because they are more accurate the the strips you adhere to the side of the fish tank.

- Test your water before you clean your fish tank. You can test the water by buying a test kit. The kit comes with directions and explains how to test the water.
Aquarium Systems Fancy Plants
- Add lots of Fancy Plants so that the fish feel more at home.   If you follow these rules, you will be better off than when I first started out. I made numerous mistakes because I didn't do my research before starting this hobby. Fortunately over the years I received lots of advice from pet stores, the internet and reading books. I hope these hints are helpful to you. Please tell me about your experiences or e-mail me if you have any questions. :)



A fish tank at the Oklahoma Aquarium
Make sure to enjoy the fish since a lot of hard work is put into maintaining it.

0 comments:

Search

Loading...