Powered by Blogger.
Sunday, September 19, 2010
8:53 PM | Posted by Mrs. JayMay | | Edit Post
Now that the hard part is over of starting up a fish tank, we should discuss the do's and don'ts of maintaining the fish tank:
- Clean your fish tank with anything other than aquarium salt; I made the mistake a while back cleaning the fish tank with dish soap. Needless to say, they all died.
- Constantly clean your fish tank; Clean the fish tank about once every two weeks.
- Over feed your fish; this leads to swim bladder which is sudden death for fish.
- Clean the rocks and plants thoroughly when cleaning the tank. Change the filter cartridge when needed.
- Make sure to have a digital thermometer to monitor the temperature of the fish tank. In winter it can get too cold for the fish and it summer it can over heat. I use a digital thermometer because they are more accurate the the strips you adhere to the side of the fish tank.
- Test your water before you clean your fish tank. You can test the water by buying a test kit. The kit comes with directions and explains how to test the water.
- Add lots of Fancy Plants so that the fish feel more at home. If you follow these rules, you will be better off than when I first started out. I made numerous mistakes because I didn't do my research before starting this hobby. Fortunately over the years I received lots of advice from pet stores, the internet and reading books. I hope these hints are helpful to you. Please tell me about your experiences or e-mail me if you have any questions. :)
Make sure to enjoy the fish since a lot of hard work is put into maintaining it.